Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Pain in the ...Mouth

I seem to have terribly bad luck or at least bad timing when it comes to getting sick. Well, I'm not sick actually. But, the Friday evening that was the beginning of my summer holiday I noticed a small pain in my mouth, near the cheek. By Saturday morning it had developed into a very painful abscess. As I was busy in Tokyo and on my way to the airport, I just figured that I could ignore it.

Unfortunately, though I can mostly ignore the pain, eating has not been very enjoyable since chewing is nearly impossible. So I decided to have it seen to, but of course today was Sunday, when dentists just aren't open. In Japan, even hospitals are not open at all hours, and you have to go to different hospitals depending on what is wrong with you. Hospitals do rotate "emergency hours", so as long as you know which hospital is open on which day you'll be fine. After much online research and several phone calls, I found a clinic near here that was open at 8:00 on Sunday. I just turned up, and was told that I had to see a dentist, to which I pleaded that there were no dentists open on Sundays. I could have technically waited until tomorrow, but, selfishly, I'd much rather be relaxing on the beach tomorrow. So, the doctor saw me and prescribed tons of medication. I am now taking four pills and two topical medications three times daily for three days. I hope it works.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bernicky said...

Grr. Mouth pain is the worst. Can't put pressure on it and really can't do anything to sooth it. Hope you feel better soon.