Saturday, August 09, 2008

Obon Holiday Plans: A Nephew Visits

The last few weeks for Brian and I have been something of a whirlwind. Time moves too quickly for us these days, and it is the one thing we just don't seem to have enough of. Suddenly, and happily, our one week summer vacation is upon us. Obon is a vacation period traditionally used for visiting your family home and cemetary. For us, of course, it's a vacation and this year I've taken an extra week off, as we'll be hosting my 14 year old nephew here for that time.

I've been looking forward to his visit for a couple of months, and have planned a fairly busy itinerary. However, I fear it may be an "adult" itinerary as it involves fugu restaurants and temple visits and doesn't involve the "Kill Bill" restaurant or Tokyo Disney Land. Still I'm hoping that Shane will get a kick out of all the local things we like to do - eating at a local yakitori shop, chilling out on the beach, and of course, we plan to climb Mt. Fuji.

I'm meeting him at Narita airport this afternoon, so I'm afraid the next bunch of posts will really be about his visit and how he perceives Japan.

2 comments:

-lyn said...

We are looking forward to the blogs about your nephew's visit and his impressions of Japan.

bernicky said...

Very cool but you have to take him to the big Toe! Akihabara, Harajuku they would be things he will remember forever. :)