Thursday, August 21, 2008

So, We Climbed Mt. Fuji...

I could put a lot of narrative into this, but I won't. I could say that it was awesome. I could say that doing it in a season when not a million others were doing it was fantastic. Instead, I'll say only that Shane and I had a great time...That choosing to reserve half a futon at the top was a very a good idea, and that I will likely climb Fuji again...

At the top, Shane is still energetic.




We slept at Fuji-kan (or Fuji-sanchou http://www.fujisanchou.com/)
right at the top of Mt. Fuji. Check- in is from four to six p.m.; they served curry-rice for dinner and pickles and rice for breakfast. It really was manna; we enjoyed it immensely. Oh, and of course there were no 'beds'!! We all slept sardine-style in a big room with futons (sleeping mats) stacked side by side. Still it was a lot of fun, and sleep was much appreciated. Also, I have to say, it was sooooo quiet!


Go-raiko was somewhat less than overwhelming, yet we were still blessed with our good-weather fortune. Here is Shane with the Goraiko (sacred sunrise over Mt. Fuji) behind him:


From the beginning...though we kinda took this photo last. This is where we stared from - 2,400m above sea level!


1 comment:

bernicky said...

Cool to get up on Fuji-san with the young guy. Hope he appreciated the journey. Did you do any star gazing at night? There must be great skies come sunset.