Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Cake in Japan

Christmas cake, or fruitcake, is a traditional food eaten at and around Christmas in Canada. Well, specifically, Montreal. For more specifics and to find one of the best kind of cakes, check out Bernicky’s Blog.

It was this post that inspired me to write my own about Christmas cake in Japan. Traditionally eaten on Christmas Eve, here Christmas cake is kind of sponge cake with frosting and strawberries; it actually reminds me more of a birthday cake and bears little resemblance to what I think of as Christmas cake.

But it is the metaphor of the Christmas cake that makes me laugh. It is said that women are like Christmas cake – best had by the 24th (birthday), still okay on the 25th, but fairly stale by the 26th. This is just humour and people are marrying later these days, but I still find it funny.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I was past my sell-by date before I even came to Japan:-)

No comments: