Monday, November 24, 2008

Wild Monkeys and big Spiders

Today is a national holiday here - Labour Thanksgiving Day. So, taking advantage of the mostly sunny morning, we took the bikes out for another good ride.

The other day, Brian had seen some monkeys playing on an old set of monkey bars (how appropriate) that sit on the grounds of a small temple. We cruised back there today with the small camera in tow, just in case.

Luckily, the monkeys like to get warm in the winter sunshine just as much as we do:









Not seen here are all the other monkeys hanging out in the trees and playing in the little shrine higher up on the hill.

We also stopped to get some photos of a particularly juicy spider. You can't really see how big it is by the photo, but body is probably just slightly smaller than the palm of my hand. The legs make it bigger... this is one of the things I don't like about trail riding sometimes - you feel the web, you know the spider is on you, but you're just not sure where!


3 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

I have a similar feeling when trail riding here in So Cal. When ever I brush up against bushes or weeds I am always worried that a tick has latched on to me and is looking for a place to drill into my skin. Amazingly in my thousands of miles of trail riding over the years I have only had one tick and I caught him just as he was digging in.

bernicky said...

Woo I would love to see one of those joro-gumo spiders up close. The colours are beautiful. Can you see their fangs? I watched a YouTube video of one catching something in its web and couldn't believe how much silk they crank out so quickly. Personally I would probably be more afraid of the monkeys.

Tracy said...

Yeah, the monkeys are the more dangerous of the two creatures! The spiders, while big, fast and creepy, are basically harmless. Monkeys, not so much.

And I'm glad we don't have ticks here - that's just gross:-)