Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wintery Winds

After a cold and rainy weekend, we are still experiencing very chilly, winter-like weather. We had a high of about 13 degrees (C) today. Though that's not all that cold, keep in mind that houses and apartments in this region are not insulated at all, which means it's about 20 degrees inside.

I don't mind this at all. Actually, not only is it far more temperate than my old hometown, it is also nice to be able to have some contrast, to have the warmth offset by the chill . There is nothing nicer than to tuck one's legs under the kotatsu (see pics below), turn on the TV, and listen to the winds rage outside, all while sipping a nice glass of wine in total comfort.

This is my kotatsu - a table with a heater underneath! (pics from 2005...)





I love my kotatsu. This is one of the things I couldn't live without. In fact, I tried to live without it for about two years, but was constantly lamenting my loss and eventually had to have a new one.

Tonight, in fact, I am also looking forward to soon sitting under my kotatsu - my upper body a little bit chilly, while the rest of me stays warm under the blanketed table.

Brian likes the kotatsu too, though not quite as much as me!

1 comment:

-lyn said...

Ah, the kotatsu!

Here it is getting almost down to 0deg C at night, so we are enjoying the crisp contrast to summer, as well. Although we have the ubiquitous central heating in our house, we sleep with the door and windows in our bedroom wide open. We love to snuggle beneath the fat, fluffy down comforter these autmn nights!