Monday, April 27, 2009

First Motorbiking Lesson

As Brian mentioned, we signed up for motorcycle driving school here in Susono (at the Susono Chuo Jidousha Gakuin,).

The induction was simple and pleasant enough. The eye test was both fun and funny - part of it entailed looking at dot-letters in a small book, and having to say what the 'letter' was (an English equivalent would be "A", "Ce" etc). The trick for us was that the letters were, of course, kanji! So while we could see it perfectly, we also had to say it aloud (meaning, we had to read the kanji). I felt pleased when, not only could I see each 'letter', I could also voice it aloud (although I know I gave the wrong reading, I'm sure!).

Anyway, the real fun happened yesterday, the day of our first practical lessons.

The lessons start very simply and are really great. Everyone gets a private instructor for their allotted lessons; my instructor made sure I'd put on the school's elbow and knee pads, as well as rain gear (it was pouring!). I loathe the pads, but put them on, especially because I'd never been on anything bigger than 150cc before. Yes - I've off-roaded (slowly!) on islands in Asia, but this was my first time on a big bike, and preparing for real city conditions.

Anyway, I donned the gear. Asked whether I understood the gears, I said, "Well, isn't it 'neutral, 1, 2, 3, 4 neutral?'". But no - I was informed that the system that I knew was called "rotational", but that the normal bigger bikes are a bit different. So, the shifting's a bit more complicated in one way, but much more simple in another (pushing down=down shifting, up=upshifting).

My first lessons consisted of everything from releasing the clutch in 1st gear and bumping into a wall (deliberately), to picking up (righting) a fallen (very heavy!) bike, to riding around the circuit practising turns and shifting appropriately. Speed is my friend, I say, and I'm not comfortable when the big bike (Honda CB400 4cylinder) gets too slow as I feel like it will topple on me, so, slow corners were a bit tricky. Otherwise, I think I did okay, and I know that Brian certainly impressed his instructor since Brian didn't have to do the wall-bumping exercise and was, in no time, zipping around the circuit at about 60km/h!

We're looking forward to our next lesson tomorrow night.

*Oh, by the way, why we are going to motorcycle driving school. In Japan, just doing the test and getting the license is a long , looooong process. As in, you will fail three times. Brian has an American license for motorcycles of unlimited cc, yet it's better for him to go through school. For me, with limited riding experience, the school is really, really good! I'm learning how to handle a larger bike, and buidling both confidence and skill!

1 comment:

Lyn said...

Sounds like great fun. I've done only little motorbikes, never anything "real."
I have to add a "Mom comment" ... please continue to wear the loathed pads (and, I assume, a helmet?) always. While the pads won't prevent death or dismemberment, they will certainly make a difference in the next day's (and weeks' and maybe months') activities. Thanks. I love you both!