Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hikari - fiber optic internet

My Internet Service Provider (ISP), which is Tokai, has been very good to me for the past six years or so as I took advantage of their broadband service. Recently, the higher speed fiber-optic internet service, "Hikari" was being strongly encouraged by the Tokai company.

However, because my apartment did not yet have the "koji" (construction) permission, someone had to take the first step and request it. In my building, after some good sales-pitches, that was me. I signed up for higher-speed net services about three weeks ago, and on Wednesday afternoon, two professional installation workers came and ran a fibre-optic cable into my apartment, set me up with a new modem, and I was surfing like a pro.

I checked out my speeds at www.speedtest.net; my 'from Yokohama' rating wasn't great, but I'm sort of satisfied with my reading from Seoul.

Here are my results (and you will notice that I'm much faster in Ubuntu than in Vista - same pc, different OS!):







I said I was "sort of" satisfied...really, I think I could be faster! If anyone knows how to tweak my Ubuntu, or, especially, my Vista OS to maximise the performance, I'd be pleased to hear it!

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Try http://www.ixibo.com/2008/11/tweaking-internet-speed-in-windows-vista-opendns/#more-323

The site also has tweaks for Firefox etcetera. Congrats on the new speed. Fast as fast can be.