Friday, July 24, 2009

Solitary Running

Though we haven't been spending much time on our custom 29ers, we have still been getting a lot of good exercise through running.

I got out for a good solo run this morning. Not too far - only 8km - but it included a pretty steep hill.

Create Routes or find more routes in Miura from millions at MapMyRun


Though we sometimes run together, I often opt to head out on my own, to seek the solace of solitude, to be alone with my thoughts and with my run. This is something that Murakami Haruki, the award-winning writer, talks about in his book What I Talk About when I Talk About Running. This is a slim but insightful novel, not only about running, but about writing and about living. I read it a few months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed his thoughts and experiences with the dual disciplines of running and writing - a perfect book for runners and writers, I suppose!

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Hey Tracy - don't put down 8K that is a good distance to run especially with hills. If you ever want to I collect "Why I Run" stories from runners all over the world for Club Phoenix
http://www.club-phoenix.org/listreviews.php?rev=running

lyn said...

We always like to see the maps when you include them with your run/ride info. Thanks!
BTW- we envy your energy!