Monday, July 06, 2009

My Kawasaki Estrella and Brian's Honda VRX

Finally! After nearly a month of waiting (and waiting and waiting), our bikes were delivered yesterday morning at about 8:30 a.m.

Luckily, it was a Saturday. Not so luckily, we were both a tad hung over from a party on Friday:-)

However, we definitely knew we wanted to get the bikes out on the road, so we fired up our engines, did a few practise circles in a big parking lot, filled up our gas tanks, then hit the open road. Actually, we just went up to the Fire Road where we are very familiar with the route and there is very little traffic. This road is very curvy, has rolling hills, and no traffic. It was a great first ride.

Today, Sunday, we got out on the bikes again. We rode for about three hours, along the Fire Road again, and then up to the Kojiri Pass and the Hakone Skyline. After that, we continued on the Fire Road toward Gotemba. After so much riding, and still getting used to the bike, I felt my arms and shoulders get tired, and, though I really really did not want to stop riding, we finally did return home and dock our new babies.

For those who are interested, my bike is a 250cc, single cylinder, and Brian's Honda VRX is a 3-Valve, V-Twin 400 cc, and both have 5-speed gearboxes and disc brakes front and rear.

For real riders out there, these bikes sound super-tiny - but honestly, for these roads, and doing what we do, here in Japan, they are perfect starter bikes. Also, please remember, our initial motorcycle licenses only allow us to ride bikes up to 400cc. Brian would have gotten something bigger if he were licensed, but he's very happy with the VRX. I, even if I'd had a full, unlimited license, would have chosen the very bike that I did choose - my lovely Kawasaki.

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday (I know, the goggles look dumb, and I'm not using them anymore!)








3 comments:

Karin said...

Where did Brian find pants long enough to roll up?

lyn said...

My quesion exactly!

brian said...

My First pair of jeans since High School! I didn't have anything sturdy enough for motorcycling (I took my training and test in dress slacks!), so a few weeks ago I sent my measurements and specifications to a tailor in India. I chose the exact denim weight and color, and added the custom denim shirt, too. Very affordable, and the fit is perfect (the cuffs were my idea, not a mistake. I might hem them locally after any shrinkage is complete.) I recommend this place to everyone:

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/

I have a 10% off coupon if anyone wants it!