Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ubuntu, Solo

So...as I mentioned, I finally missed Ubuntu too much to do without it, and was attempting to install it on my Win 7 netbook. Well, the install was not smooth at all. Probably due to the way Microsoft set up the Win 7 bootloader, Ubuntu did not see my primary OS. So, I partitioned in Windows using Acronis, setting aside 40 gbs for Ubuntu.

Then I installed Ubuntu, choosing the manual disk partition option, since ist still did not have an option to install alongside my existing os. I chose to install on the 40 gig space, thinking my other 460 gigs were still all windows. But then after install, I did not have the option of booting into windows at all - instead it went straight to Ubuntu.

After lots of questions and answers in the Ubuntu forums, realizing I didn't really have any vital data on the Windows partition, I just scrapped my dual -boot project, and am now running Ubuntu only on all 500 gigs of my HD on my little Acer Aspire One Netbook.

This is the first time I've run Ubuntu solely, not as a dual boot, play-only, OS - and I'm excited by the prospect!!

No comments: