Saturday, March 19, 2011

Comparing Amazon Kindle2 (old Kindle) and the New Kindle

I have been spending time between being distracted by multi-tasking, job-searching and generally symptoms of cabin fever which I associate with being cooped up indoors. Thankfully, the weather here has warmed up considerably, and the snow finally seems to have stopped falling.

Still, the snowbound months were good for reading! And this is a post I've wanted to write for a while, ever since I received my new Amazon Kindle from Brian.

I first bought a Kindle last year, around May or so, and, despite my earlier misgivings about electronic vs. paper books, I fell in love with it instantly.

A couple of months ago, I was lucky enough to get the new Kindle as a birthday gift, and I noticed many improvements over the earlier (white only) model. For one thing, it is a little bit slimmer, and a little bit smaller, but the screen is just as big as the earlier model. Another thing I prefer - the buttons feel much less cheap and plasticky compared with the earlier version. Additionally, the new Kindle seems to turn pages noticeably faster.

This is not to say that I was ever unhappy with the older model - it was and is performing great. The screen is beautifully easy on the eyes, and I love the ability to carry around a hundred (and more!) books in one small package. I also love being able to log in to Amazon and buy something on the fly (like I did from the airport when returning to Canada and I had nothing I felt like reading!).

My old Kindle I kindly passed on to my mother, who surprised me by being so pleased with the device that she has been reading at least three books a week. For her, the best feature is the ability to make the text much bigger than in a regular book, so she doesn't need her glasses or have to squint!

Here's my old Kindle:

And with the cover that I loved because it makes it feel more like a real book:

And my new Kindle:


And while I couldn't find the ideal cover, this one is okay - it lets me prop up the book on a table so I can read hands-free:

No comments: