Monday, February 27, 2006

High Dynamic Range

After working in and out of town, on weekdays and weekends, I finally had a day to relax and catch up on some projects of personal interest. What I have been thinking about is the photographic technique known as HDR, or High Dynamic Range. As I have only point-and-shoot experience, I realized this would be a bit of a reach with only one day to devote to it.

Well, the day proved to be the darkest and rainiest in recent memory, seriously hindering my enthusiasm, but I was able to finally get some results indoors...














The idea is to take several shots varying only the exposure, and then merging them together to reveal the intricacies lost in a single exposure. This would have been way above my skill and patience level, except for Adobe Photoshop (CS2), which has a one-click 'merge to HDR' feature.

I am using Tracy's LUMIX FZ10 as my compact doesn't have any manal settings.

Please stay tuned for some improved attempts, but for examples of what is possible, Flickr has a pool of pictures devoted to the style: http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/pool/

No comments: