Thursday, February 16, 2006

Slow Lane?

Hello devoted readers!

Many folks may be wondering why 'Japanrider' hasn't been posting about crisp rides or other two-wheeled adventure lately. Well, I surveyed the year and decided that the coldest winter months might be the right time to attend to the increasingly bothersome vein in my leg. I had a doctor refer me to a surgeon in Tokyo, and after a few trips to meet and check the particulars, I scheduled myself for surgery.

Because Tokyo is far from my home and I seemed healthy enough otherwise, the doctor worked out a plan to reduce the procedure and hospital stay from 5-7 days to just one day (surgery) and an overnight, with 'check-out' after breakfast. It seemed like a great plan, and in the end it worked out just right, although it took some wrangling with the incredulous hospital staff and some easing up on the pain medication. (Ouch.)

Last Tuesday I went in, and Wednesday around noon I left, after most of the medicines had worn off. (I don't remember the trip home, but somehow I managed two subways, a train, a bullet train and finally a taxi. I then ate and slept until Friday.)

Since then I've had to keep my left leg elevated, and reduce walking or standing as much as possible. I won't be able to 'exercise' for a few weeks, which I'm sure includes biking (um, I ride a single-speed) and lifting weights; hopefully spring weather will arrive as I'm able to get out again, with a minimum of teasing!

I do have before and after pictures of my leg, but I'm not sure anyone wants to see that much detail, so for now I'll post a 'recovery mode' picture, featuring our newly refurbished home theater:

2 comments:

bernicky said...

I have to ask, what was the problem with the vein? Varicose?

Anyway I hope you are feeling better. Take the time to you need to get back to health so you will have a good season with fresh legs.

Team Sharma said...

I'm not squimish... I want to see the pictures.