Friday, May 25, 2007

Time Flies

The race against time, or at least the awareness of it, seems to cross generations and cultures and is a perennial friend (or threat). One of my favourite poems is "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell, and the most famous line is, "...at my back I always hear/Time's wing'ed chariot hurrying near". Who hasn't felt that way - either when trying to reach a deadline, or trying to pack as much living into life as possible?

There is a Japanese idiom equivalent to "time flies" - "kouin ya no gotoshi" [ 光陰矢のごとし]; this literally means "time flies like an arrow".

Well - despite the relentless race against time, in my zen-inspired desire to embrace the present, I am spending this Friday evening sipping red wine and dining on fresh-ordered pizza pie... I think I'll consider this "carbo loading" for the 14km race I'm running on Sunday!

1 comment:

-lyn said...

Gambatte!

Oh, and just wait till you are 60+ and you'll really hear times' chariot hastening near!