Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Strange Smells that I Like

Our olfactory sense is totally subtle, and brutally strong. Some of the strongest "memory joggers" are delivered to us via olfactory stimuli.

We might not know why we suddenly feel euphoric, or why tense. We might not directly associate a smell with a specific event. And yet, smell plays a great role in our daily lives. I've begun to think about this as I realize there are some smells that I like which are perhaps considered strange.

The "strange" smells that I like are:
  • Sunscreen. I love the smell of sunscreen emanating from warm skin.
  • Bug spray. Again, it should be in combination with a hot body - and what a good smell!
  • Wet dog. Come on, you know the smell, right? And, yep, that's another smell I really like.
  • Wet soil - as in, spring thaw. I don't get this here in the mild climate of Shizuoka, Japan, but every April/May in Montreal (sometimes not until July or August...okay, I exaggerate!), just when the weather starts to break, when warmth seems to find its way, finally, into your bones, the earth, too, feels it, and the snows melt and the earth heats up.... this is a good smell!
  • Hockey rink. Unless you've visited (frequently) indoor hockey rinks, you won't know this smell - but it's distinctive and wonderful. The smell of sweat, cold, heat, and fervor...
  • Candle wax. You have to close your eyes, and just breathe deeply, and imagine the scent...
  • Nail polish. Strong and toxic. Nobody loves this scent....Yet I do.
  • hot, wet concrete. This is along the same lines as the wet soil, but sooo different. On a hot, humid summer day, with a storm finally having broken, the smell of wet concrete makes the soul feel good.
  • A snuffed-out match. The smell lingers in the air...
These are odd, and probably "icky" smells, and yet, these induce euphoria for me. Mostly they deal with extremes of hot and cold, emphasizing the short victory of summer over winter for me....

What smells do you like/love? Hate? Why? Please post in comments.... I'm just curious.

OH,of course, here is a link to a Britannica article on the sense of smell. Please watch the video (it's better (though just barely) than the article).

6 comments:

Team Sharma said...

A recently wet dog is okay, but a wet dog thats gone musty is off the list. I'm partial to burning sugar.

-lyn said...

Interesting! I've recently been enjoying the slightly musty smell of hot, humid earth in our backyard here in Florida. It's an odor we never, ever encountered in cold Michigan, even in the hottest summers.

Unknown said...

The forest or the smell in the air just after its rained

Tracy said...

Wow! some new smells I want to experience - Thank you!!

And, yes, old-wet dog is NOT on my list of favourites:-)

Groover said...

Have you ever read "Perfume" by Patrick Suesskind? Highly recommend it on the topic of smell! The way he describes the sense of smell of his main character - I even started to smell the TV ... or pencil lead ...

Anonymous said...

I also like what some people may consider strange smells. I like the smell of dry-erase markers, rubber tires, gas, bus fumes, new shoes (probably because of the glue and leather), freshly printed newspapers. I even like the smell of cleaning products, and, yes, nail polish AND nail polish remover. I realize that this list is mostly of toxic smells, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a problem.