Sunday, May 25, 2008

Yamanakako Road Race

Yesterday was the big race day!

As predicted, it was pouring rain. This weather, though, did not keep many people away, and I'm certain that this year's turnout will equal last year's, which was close to 12,000 people.

Even in the rain, the run around the lake was scenic, and I feel that I did my 13.6km fairly well. I never felt tired, and even at the end of the race I felt like I could run a little more. This is better than last year, where everything after the 12km mark was a struggle (it doesn't help that the last 600 meters is uphill!).

There was a group of us who ran, and after the race, we made our way back toward home, stopping at the Gotemba Kogen onsen and beer hall. We lounged in a luxurious hot bath for a while before going to the "viking" restaurant for an early dinner and a few well-earned beers. "Viking restuarant" in Japanese means a buffet restuarant; at the Kogen, it is an all-you-can-eat and drink extravaganza. That being the case, I decided that I would indulge a little, and leave my car there and take the shuttle bus home. Brian joined we runners for the fun part of the day (eating and drinking), also leaving his truck parked at the Kogen. This gave us the perfect excuse to ride our bikes this morning - back to the Kogen (uphill, again!) to pick up the cars.

So, I wasn't tired after the race, my legs were still in riding shape this morning, and I can even walk down several flights of stairs without pain...all better than last year! I don't have my time results yet, but I'm hoping that I shaved a few seconds off my time this year, too!

3 comments:

-lyn said...

Way to go! It's great when you can run and not only enjoy it but not even suffer afterward. Good on ya' as we say.

Team Sharma said...

You get points for showing up and bonus points for finishing. I hope your time is good but you've alredy done pretty well.

bernicky said...

Congrats on finishing the distance in fine form. Now of course - being a runner - I want to know your time. I went to the site that did the Championchip Timing but I don't read any Japanese and couldn't figure out where the results were. :)