Monday, March 29, 2010

Feeling Welcome in a Small Town

Please pardon my blogging haiatus! We had a great weekend in Tokyo last weekend, shopping in Shinjuku and eating at exotic restaurants.

As the workweek began again, I was working out of town and staying in a city called Shimada.

I love Shimada!! In fact, I love it so much so that I got Brian to join me on Friday night and we stayed an extra night just to enjoy running there on Saturday. But that is for another blog post perhaps..

Anyway, during my week away in Shimada, staying in a business hotel, I naturally had to fend for myself for dinner. Each night I would venture out and look for an izakaya or restaurant to enjoy that night. One night, I went to a small, local "kushi" place. Kushi is like shish-kebab - grilled food on sticks.

So, this little place is really cozy, and good. Brian and I have eaten there several times. The owner was doing the cooking as usual, but his wife was also working on the night I was there. She chatted with me a bit, asked where I was from and made some small talk. It was very pleasant and not out of the ordinary.

However, when I was leaving, she wanted to give me something and gave me a choice of three items that had been decorating the place. Having to take something, I chose a framed peice of artwork, which is really lovely and authentic. She also gave me a small bag/purse.

[caption id="attachment_1621" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Kushi Ju-Ban - on the 2nd floor"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1620" align="alignnone" width="506" caption="Framed Artwork"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1622" align="alignnone" width="524" caption="Another gift"][/caption]

It was a good week away - but I am happy to be home again, too!

No comments: