Monday, August 01, 2005

2nd Run

You may have heard me mention my good friend, Denis, who has undergone a metamorphosis through running; I also have several friends here in Japan who are runners rather than bikers.

While in Tennessee, having been bike (and exercise) free for a while, I bought a pair of running shoes (at least, the label on the box says "Running Shoes") and went for my first run ever. The terrain was paved but steeply hilly. I jogged/walked/speedwalked/walked for about half an hour, and felt great. The next day, my legs were killing me!

This morning, about two weeks after my last jog, I went for a half-hour run with a friend here in Susono - more slow running than walking this time. The terrain was also paved, but much less steep - it was a great run, and provided a change of pace from my usual morning ride.

I believe that we all need variety and change in order to keep what we love in perspective. That holds true, I would say, for many things in our lives, including our relationships. Time away from your partner or children or best friend, doing something that belongs to you as an individual and not "you" as a couple/group, will allow you to appreciate your relationships that much more.

Running will not kill my love of riding, but will, if anything, heighten it simply because now I have something that I don't love as much as riding. There can be no white without black.

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Welcome to the dark side Luke umm I mean Tracy ;)