Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Camping and biking around Shimada

Brian and I headed out straigt after work on Friday to pick up my new Rig at the bike shop in Shimada, and then spend a weekend riding and camping.

Here's me - still in work clothes -and Naruoka-san (the bike shop manager/owner) at Naruoka cycles in Shimada, as I pick up my bike.


My new rig at the start of it's first ride - we rode down along the Ooi-gawa river to the Pacific ocean. We did 40km round trip for a test ride and stopped to tweak the bike along the way (you may also notice that I've already changed the stem).


Horai Bashi (bridge) crossing the Ooi-gawa in Shimada - supposed to be the longest wooden bridge in the world and recognized by Guinness. Here's more info about it.


We camped in Naka-Kawane, about 20km up-river from Shimada. The map below shows where we camped for a few nights (follow the black arrow to the red dot). Also - notice where north is!


Brian and his Rig at trailhead where we hiked (not biked) to a waterfall.


And now we are off again - we have restocked and packed up our camping gear, along with our downhill bikes, and are heading to Fujimi today.

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Can life get any better than this? Really? You are inspiring me to give up the whole idea of racing to start doing runs and bike routes just for the scenery.

Colour me green.