Monday, January 21, 2008

Firsts and Lasts

This morning we woke up to see a light dusting of snow coating the fields and treetops of little Susono city. The first snow of 2008, the first snow, in fact, of the winter. Life is good...it's even better that the snow melted before sunset and we probably won't get much more than this. Only a Canadian from the frozen north could really appreciate the value of "a little" snow.

So today was a first snow. It was Monday - the first day of the week. But it was also my last day of being in my "mid-thirties", as tomorrow I turn 36 and I'd say that might classify as being in my late thirties. Ah, well...

We went out tonight to a small, local izakaya called Daiki. Unlike our frequently visited Ryoba, Daiki is NOT a chain, and so still has a lot of small-town local character - from the middle-aged "waitress" wearing a house-dress and apron right down to the Enka playing through the speakers. The service, of course, was excellent, and the food was really good too. A nice way to see out the last of my 35th year:-)

Next post: Probably will include my apologies to my mother for not emailing her more frequently:-)

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Happy Birthday! Congrats on arriving at middle aged in tact :)

Birthdays are a good time to look back and see how much you have done. Living in a foreign culture, traveling the globe quite literally being a world citizen - some kind of wonderful when you think about it. I hope you enjoy your birthday.