Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Mortal of Small Things

I'm basing my title on that great novel The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy), which I read about ten years ago and which was one of the best-written novels in ages....

Anyway, that's not actually what this post is about. It is, in fact, about how small everything here in Japan is. And really how small it has to be given the sparsity of space in this long and narrow country.

When we met Vaughn in Tokyo, he laughingly mentioned how he was again surprised by how small the hotel rooms were; now, keep in mind that he was staying at the Prince Hotel where the rooms are bigger and brighter than the business hotels where the average Joe (i.e. me and Brian) stays and even where the average Joe lives.

Then, of course, there is my own keyboard - which I love, but which is, actually, quite small just to make room on my "desk" for other things. I have a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite - it's really great, makes for easy typing...but yes, it is small, and numbers have to share their keys with the function keys.

The roads here are quite narrow, parking spaces are tight (and expensive) - however, we've become much better drivers for the experience, and I'm sure that I can now park even a behemoth of a vehicle in a space the size of a matchbox.

Clothing sizes are smaller...it encourages me to lose a bit of weight so I don't look like a little sausage stuffed into the pants here:-) As for Brian, he doesn't have it so easy and has taken to buying custom clothes from Mysuitshop.com.

Well...I suppose this has been a rambling post. If anything, I really do hope that you read The God of Small Things....

No comments: