Sunday, January 13, 2008

In Touch with an old Friend

I've been on Facebook for nearly a year now; love it or hate it, Facebook does play an interesting role in social networking. I'm more aware of who my niece and nephew are as people now, and am back in touch with people I haven't seen or spoken to since high school.

About a month ago an old high school friend tracked me down on Facebook - he noticed I was in Japan, and said he'd be here on business in January. So Brian and I duly made plans to meet Vaughn for dinner and drinks in Shinjuku.

This was the first time I'd ever met up with someone after 19 years of non-communication. That's nearly 2 decades! But the years between us seemed to just disappear - some reminiscing, some of "whatever happened to Billy-whatsisname?", and lots of actual normal conversation about what we do, things we like, and just general stuff.

We went to an izakaya - this is probably the most authentic Japanese experience, I think - and it was my first time to encounter an electronic-touch screen ordering system!



Having our first beer together since 1989:


Outside Shinjuku station:

1 comment:

bernicky said...

Cool to connect with a friend via a social networking site. Glad you had the chance to show him around I bet he appreciated getting a local's taste of Japan.