Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mindful Cooking, Mindful Eating

I've blogged in the past about the joy of cooking. No, not the book - rather, the simple, relaxing, calming feeling that cooking can bring. Don't mistake me - I'm not much of a cook. I still remember that when I first came to Japan, it was the first time that I wasn't eating frozen dinners or something my mother had cooked. I decided to do something with chicken and my first foray into the supermarket resulted in me staring at lots of packaged raw meat, and having to stop some poor Japanese woman working at the supermarket and ask her which was chicken! She kindly pointed out the chicken, then went further, showing me which part of the chicken each package contained.

I've come a long way since then as I am now semi-literate and can read the packages. No, seriously, I get a very real, simple satisfaction from cooking and spent many of our remaining holidays cooking stews, soups and curries. It takes focus. You have to peel the vegetables, slice the carrots, chop the onion, crush the garlic and grind the ginger...sounds rather violent, but allows the mind to be consumed with a simple process. The key is mindfulness - pay close attention to the food, to the process, and savour the time it takes to prepare the dish. Don't wish you were doing something else...

The follow up to mindful cooking, which is good for the soul, is mindful eating. This is something I will have to be more careful about putting into practice since I've got an extra three kilos to lose! Mindful eating - pay attention to your food, and only to the food. Enjoy it, savour it, appreciate it. Do not eat while watching TV, standing at the kitchen counter, or net surfing. I'm guilty of the latter, and eat much more than I should without even noticing, and certainly not appreciating.

Food is a wonderful thing, so perhaps one of my New Year's goals is to eat mindfully.

1 comment:

bernicky said...

I like the idea of not eating while seated before a screen but I have to admit that it would take too much effort to avoid. You are probably right about too many calories being the result of being distracted while eating instead of focusing on the food.