Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ditch iTunes, get Media Monkey

A few months ago I bought my first iPod. I'd been avoiding the iPod due to its proprietary nature and the need to use iTunes to "sync" (a.k.a. delete music without telling me) my iPod. I knew of several iPod alternatives (here are 10 alternatives), but figured just to go ahead and learn about iTunes.

I tried it, and I absolutely hate it, both in principle and due to its poor functioning. First to annoy me was the constant prompting to "synch my iPod", and, even when I didn't, how sometimes tunes would just go missing. My iPod even had some functioning problems which I blame iTunes for. Next thing to get me was how much of a memory hog iTunes is. It's a huge program that wants to start up whenever I plug in my iPod. The proverbial straw, however, was the realization that my 2nd generation iShuffle will not charge even when attached to the pc unless iTunes is running.

I refuse to be held prisoner. I bought a separate power charger, downloaded Media Monkey, and have not looked back.

I felt especially vindicated today when I read about the serious and sneaky problems with iTunes 8, the latest version of the software (read more here). Seems that, at least on Vista, running iTunes 8 caused the user to receive the "Blue Screen of Death". iTunes says it's fixed this.

This will not be a problem for me in any case, since I removed iTunes from my pc and began using the free and powerful Media Monkey. Download it here.

PS - I should add here that on my Linux system I use Rhythmbox, which I really, really like, too.

No comments: