Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Operation Photo Rescue

So I hibernated on Saturday, but at least ventured out to do some groceries and miscellaneous errands. I needed a day of rest - but little did I know that the rest of the long weekend would be seeing some of the heaviest wind and rain, and some of the fiercest thunder and lightening, that we'd had in a long time. So several days of rest meant, of course, that I could work on all my projects...

Of course not. Instead I found a new past-time to help me further procrastinate the works in progress - Operation Photo Rescue (OPR). This is an organization set up to take and restore photos for people who've suffered fires, floods or other disasters that have destroyed their photos. I signed up to be a volunteer to restore some of these photos.

As an amateur Photoshop-ist, I really enjoy having short-term goals that let me hone my skills and sharpen my artistic eye at the same time, and I'm now busily working on my second and third photo restorals for OPR.

And there's a human side, too. My current photo is from, probably, the early 1900's, and as I work to recreate the faded details, I can't help but think of this man, probably long dead, but still living on through his ancestors, and I enjoy the project.

Just what I need - another distraction, another reason to procrastinate.

2 comments:

-lyn said...

What an interesting project. "Good on ya," as my Aussie friend Shirley would say.

Team Sharma said...

How cool! Photos are such an important part of history especially at the personal level.