Friday, May 15, 2009

Health and Fitness: Limping Along

In this lovely spring weather we've both been naturally improving our overall health and fitness.We've been out running regularly, and trying to do some weight training on off-days.

We've also been trying to eat more healthfully - no white bread or pasta; no pizza or deep-fried foods. In particular, I've also been watching my calorie intake and consiously burning more than I consume. As a result, I've managed to lose nearly two kilos in the past month. I'd like to lose another four before bathing suit season!

However - I'm suffering a bit of a set-back, exercise-wise, since I've been experiencing some real hip pain after Sunday's run. I rested on Monday and Tuesday, ran again Wednesday. However, yesterday I was limping everywhere, and by last night was nearly immobile. This morning is better, and though I'd been planning to go out for a good bike ride before work, but I decided against it and instead did some light weights. I don't want my cardio to suffer, but I also want to make sure that I don't damage my hip joint before the race on May 31st.

In other news, the weather this weekend is supposed to be cool with rain...probably a weekend for riding school.

2 comments:

Lyn said...

Glad to hear about the health measures ... sorry to hear about the hip issues, though.
I'm going to put on my "Dr. Mom" hat for a minute ...
and recommend going ahead and taking some anti-inflammatory meds. In the US the brands are Alleve, Advil or Motrin. Ibuprofen or naproxen are the generic names.
I resisted taking any sort of meds for a long time, but finally my doctor (a real one) convinced me that the inflammation is bad for your health in other ways besides the pain. Anyway, take some!
And good luck in the run!

bernicky said...

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Damaging the joint is pretty unlikely. Where is the pain located? Side, front, inside? Is it worse with side to side motion or forward motion? Does it hurt if you flex without supporting any weight? Bursitis is probably the most common hip issue for runners outside upper thigh - ibuprofen and ice will be the best treatment. It could also be IT band problem which is alleviated with some stretching and of course ice and ibuprofen. If you are in shape anyway a few days off is not going to have any real effect on your finishing time.