Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Motorbiking continued

Our motor biking lessons are going great. Last week, we moved up to Stage Two, which is 'Advanced Riding'. Up until that point, we'd been doing basic stuff, apparently - practicing basic balance techniques, showing we could slalom and stop and start on a slope.

The advanced stage seems to be focusing on improving our riding skills and handling of the bike. Brian's breezing through, but I'm still stuck on speed, and making slow, tight turns.

I don't feel too bad though - when I googled "how to do tight slow turn motorbike" I got about 723,000 hits. So at least I'm not the only one!

The lessons are really great and really useful, even though we're staying on the driving circuit or practicing on a simulator, and not ever actually venturing into the real streets.

As for the bike I'd like to buy (when I finally pass the course and the test, and get my license), I've got my eye on the Kawasaki Estrella or the Estrella Custom. It's a small bike in both engine and physical size, with a low seat so I'll be able to put both feet on the ground.

Brian hasn't settled on a bike yet, but is looking out for physically larger bikes -like the Kawasaki W400 - since he's rather tall.

We each signed up for two more hours of riding today, so with luck my skills will "level up" a little!

1 comment:

bernicky said...

It sure sounds like you are having fun. Personally I've always liked the small bikes like the Kawasaki Eliminator or Honda Innova or better yet scooters :). You will eventually get the hang of slow turns just as you got the hang of mountain biking and running and just about everything else you put your mind to.