Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Japanese Motorcycle Licence

For a couple of years now we have both been thinking about (finally) getting our Japanese motorcycle licence - especially after our varied experience renting bikes every time we travel in other parts of South East Asia.

After some research (and some impetus from a friend), we decided to get our licence the Japanese way - by going to school! Because we already have a Japanese driver's licence, getting the motorcycle licence did not require too much extra effort. We basically had to do seventeen hours of training, of which about three hours was on a simulator, and one hour was a lecture on road safety - fairly standard requirements in Japan.

We entered a school just here in Susono, and got a good great private lessons, and a dose of Japanese practise along with the riding practise!

We were both really enjoying the lessons, although it took me longer (several extra hours of lessons) to master the Honda CB400, but when I did, it was awesome. Brian passed his test more than a week ago (ahead of me), but finally came time for me to take my test on Saturday. Though I felt nervous, one of my most awesome instructors told me not to worry at all, that I would pass. And I did pass! It was especially helpful that the test was at the school, doing the same course I'd been practising, and on the very same bike on which I'd been practising, for the past month. Getting on that bike for my final test was like meeting up with an old friend.

So, today I took my "Graduation Certificate" from the school to our nearest Licencing Centre. There, I wait in line a little, wait in a classroom a little, and wait a little more, but soon I had my official Japanese Motorcycle Licence.

Below is my licence. Circled is the classification "futsu jidou nirin" - usual (up to 400cc)* motorcycle!



I really, really liked the Susono Chuo driving school - private one-one instruction, friendly (and super awesome) instructors, with a solid program.

Next step? This school will begin offering "oo-gata" bike licences (bikes bigger than 400cc) from the end of July...

*In Japan, motorbike licences come in several classes: 50 -124cc, 125-399cc, and then 400cc and up.

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Congratulations on getting your motorcycle license. Hope it turns out to be as much fun as you hope it will be. Ride safe!

lyn said...

congratulations!