Friday, June 26, 2009

Relaxation by Cataloguing

My totally awesome friend, Van, who has been in Japan as long as I have, is finally repatriating to the States. I will miss her terribly - I already realize there is no replacement for her; when I feel like not talking, it's great, 'cause she does all the work. She's a super-friendly Texan who is super-easy to be with.

In fact, she is such a good friend, that I agreed (blindly) to take all her books and try to sell them for her. Now, Van is a ...collector. Perhaps even a pack-rat. A decade in Japan means much accumulation...

Today, I went through about five boxes of books, and catalogued (or inventoried) exactly 168 books (mostly Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb - who are the same person. When anyone can be that prolific, I have to admit, I'm a bit sceptical of the quality of writing!).

Anyway - actually, the highly detailed, yet intellectually un-demanding task, was oddly relaxing for me.

I entered the titles and authors in Excel, then sorted to alphabetize by author, then, finally, sent the list to Infinity Books Japan, who buys used books, by distance. I've used these guys before, and they're great - just submit a list of the books you have, and wait for an estimate. But it had been a while, so when I cruised over to their website, and saw that they asked for our lists to include the ISBN, I thought, "WHAT??!!".

Well, I sent the list anyway, sans ISBN. If they really do want it, I'll just have to go through all the boxes again, and sort the actual books by author, then note the numbers. The up-side of this means that the books will be re-packed by author, which, I suppose, I ought to have done anyway!

No comments: