Monday, April 25, 2005

Dead digital camera :(

Tracy and I bought this, at the time cutting-edge and very expensive, Casio QV-R4 digicam 2 years ago, and have used it on every outing since then. Although we carried the English Language user's manual with us everywhere, hunted down spare batteries on the Japanese auction, and searched two continents for the perfect carrying case, it croaked Saturday morning without warning. It seems this model needed a 'firmware reflashing' to prevent sudden death, which we learned posthumously. Now it can only announce: LENS ERROR and shut itself down.


Beloved but departed Casio..

My antique Fuji digicam had to be called into service for the planned Sunday morning ride. A thorough dusting and recharging its 'AA's' found it in good health. This was my first digicam bought back in 2000.. a metal body, 1.3 Megapixels, but no zoom and terrible battery life.

Trusty old Fuji Fine Pix 1500

The ride was a test of the 28'er concept. That is, my CAAD4 Cannondale converted to Singlespeed, but with 700c road wheels and 700x35 schwalbe cyclocross tires. Not a true 29'er like my Rig, but a near approximation. Tracy snapped this pic with the old Fuji Fine Pix (with Mt. Fuji in the background to show the scale).


Brian (me) during the 700cx35 experimental ride

The ride was a hardpacked logging road climb through dense forest, with only this short paved bridge allowing a glimpse of the famous mountian. The trail down was in thick mud and rocks. I was completely surprised how well the bike did in this form, and the skinny smooth tires had much more traction than I'd supposed. I wouldn't keep a bike in this configuration, but it did make me appreciate the possibilities..

3 comments:

Internet Street Philosopher said...

Tracy, thanks for the compliments and for stopping by. I sincerly appreciate it. Maybe I can take a picture of my bike later on. Happy trails!

Internet Street Philosopher said...

Oh and sorry about the dead digital camera.

bernicky said...

Experimental cycling - an interesting idea. I like the idea of the skinnier tires and 700cc measurement because once you get onto pavement you can really boogie. I can't imagine how they would stand up to one of the downhill runs you guys do on your downhill bikes though.