Thursday, October 13, 2005

Better Photos

While I've been busy studying for the Japanese level test (about an hour a day!), I've also decided to start a new project - a photo "course".

I am not a Photographer, just an average photo-taker. However, the more photos I was taking, the more I wanted to learn about what it was that I was doing, and how to do it better. I found an site called Better Photo, which has a lot of tips, tutorials, reviews and links. It also offers a whole series of online courses (for a fee). These courses are just for fun (no certificate or anything), and run for eight weeks. After sifting through all the beginner to upper-beginner courses, I opted to take the one called "The Joy of Digital Photography".

I am currently in week two of this course, and I have already learned to see more clearly. Seriously - even a month ago, I wouldn't have noticed my crooked horizon, or the white plastic bag off to the left of the scene; my eyes would just filter out that stuff. Taking pictures takes time, and you've got to give 100% of your attention to what you are doing, to
be aware of (though not distracted by) everything around you. It's much like life - pay attention, don't rush, see with all your being.

This morning I headed out to complete my first assignment - take a picture of a building or architecture. Naturally, I took Flat Stanley along for the ride (we rode the Rig to the shrine that was my chosen subject). Stanley is keeping a journal of the places he goes and things he learns while he is here, and getting some photos of himself, too, which he is too shy to post on this blog!

But here is a photo of the shrine (kind of):

3 comments:

bernicky said...

You are not an average photographer.
I have seen enough of your photos to recognize that. You have a good eye for composition and subject matter. I hope you enjoy your course. I like the shrine photo.

Team Sharma said...

Nice flat horizon, and no plastic bag.... you are off to a good start. Enjoy your course, and I hope that Stanley is being a good guest.

Doc Shazam said...

Wow, that's a great shot. I'm more intrigued by the background, and even without the interesting shrine forground in shadow, that photo would be great!

Flat stanley should start his own photo blog!