Friday, September 15, 2006

Shooting and Death at Dawson CEGEP

I'd like to post about my fabulous ride this morning, or the good time we had out at the izakaya tonight.

However, I am more interested in posting just a little about the shootings at Dawson CEGEP (a.k.a. college) in Montreal on Wednesday. An armed assailant opened fire at the CEGEP just before 1 p.m. local time. CEGEP, for those who don't know, is the two-year transition between high-school and University in Quebec. Most people go to CEGEP before moving on to the 3-year (not 4-year) University program. So, the kids at Dawson "college" really were just kids - all between the ages of 17 and 20, most likely. And one of them is now dead, the others forever changed.

I was much more (selfishly) concerned, however, about my mother, who uses the same metro station that serves Dawson CEGEP almost every day. This is a part of her emailed response to my query:

I am just fine. YES the shooting did affect me - I was in the crowd of thousands of people. I heard the shots,it was really awful. I never saw so many police with guns and police dogs.I had to run down St.Catherine [street] to St. Marc [street].I couldn"t even get a cab... Anyway I am fine.

My mind is full of the "what ifs", as it always is. But life isn't about "what if", it's about "what is". Don't waste your life worrying about loss; instead, seize the day and enjoy what you have while you have it.



1 comment:

Team Sharma said...

I'm glad that your Mom is okay and I'm sorry that she was anywhere near this tragedy.