Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Browsers

As I mentioned, I've been using Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) on my new Aspire One. And as many know, Fire Fox is my web browser of choice. It is open-source, has lots of add-ons, and recognizes web standards.

However, on my netbook, I've decided to give two other browsers a try. On my Ubuntu (Linux) side, I've been using Ephiphany. This is a nice, light browser, without anything extraneous. It is quick, and runs smoothly, and has a few (but not many) add-ons. I think my biggest issue is that it doesn't seem to have a spell-checker built in, and thhis is something I (and my readers) have come to expect! (so please be forgiving of any mis-spellings in this post).

On my Windows7 side, I've started using Chrome, the Google browser. Like Google itself, it is a clean, crisp, lightweight browser representing the best of simple functionality. I realy do like Chrome, and it does have a spell checker!

My issue with both browsers? They are not Firefox, they do not have all the cool-add ons.

Why try new browsers on my netbook when I already know I love Firefox? Netbooks are small with small processors, and basically the less memory something uses, the better, so I wanted to try using lighter browsers for my massive net-surving.

And of course, it is the add-ons that slows Firefox down - so I'll have to make the decision whether to stick with my favourite browser and have it be a bit heavy, or pare down to lighter browsers, giving up the added functionalities and personalizability.

2 comments:

Tornadoes28 said...

I've been using Chrome for a while and I really like it. IE is just to bulky for me. I like the simplicity of Chrome. But it still has a lot of bugs to work out but I am willing to put up with them.

Lyn said...

Sounds like you totally in control of your geekiness!