Friday, November 13, 2009

Closet Cleaning

I think occasional closet-cleaning is necessary to maintaining general spiritual health. I know that sounds strange, but a wise person once said to me that you can't add anything new until you get rid of some of the old. And actually, physically cleaning out my closets does something to my inner-clutter as well.

I started spontaneously going through my 'cosmetics' closet/shelf since trash day for cosmetics bottles is coming up (only once every two months - must take advantage!). Before long, I'd moved away from old make-up and perfume bottles, to stuff half or not used, and then to clothes and other unused items. Most thrown away, but others maybe just brought into the light of day. I filled up several trash bags. I then took a long, hot bath, and I swear, my whole day felt somehow lighter, cleaner and freer.

A Zen story tells of a master who was so great that  "when he eats, he just eats, and when he sleeps, he just sleeps". So my advice is, clean your closets. While doing that, do nothing else, allow your mind to think nothing else - just clean out the old. My mental clutter has dissipated enough that now I feel ready for the new.

1 comment:

Lyn said...

While I am in Florida, John is home ... cleaning out our big closet. Not because he "feels zen" but because we are going to put in new flooring next week, including the closet floor. We'll have to ask him how he feels after the fact!
Seriously, I do believe your advice is excellent.