Saturday, November 07, 2009

Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala (UNR)

Well, just because I love to procrastinate projects in progress, and love even more to start new things, last week, after getting my new Acer netbook, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Ubuntu (my linux OS of choice).

Ubuntu 9.10 (code named Karmic Koala) was released just days after I got my netbook, and I discovered that there was a version available especially for netbooks - Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR).

The interface is completely different than the usual desktop installs I'd become accustomed to, so I had to get used to navigating the OS. I also had a few hiccups, then spent some time configuring the wireless drivers to work with my Acer Aspire One (go to System - Hardware Drivers and install the Broadcom drivers!), then more time installing Scim Anthy so I could have my Japanese input system But I now have a beautiful dual-boot Windows 7 / Ubuntu system.

Here's a screenshot of my beauty (click for larger image):



2 comments:

bernicky said...

Well I hope it all works for you I have heard some grumblings about Karmic Koala on the web. I have a question about Ubuntu - have you used it for video editing? The apparent lack of video editing tools is the only thing that has kept me from switching.

Tracy said...

I don't often need to edit, and then just little things. In Windows, I love Cyberlink power director. I haven't tried in Ubuntu, but:
Kino
Avidemx
and

(for me) Open Movie Editor or Kden Live look simple and effective.

All the above come in the repositories and can be easily installed via the Software Center in Karmic