Monday, November 02, 2009

Solo from Nikko

First - addendum to last post: Brian did get an Acer Aspire One D250, identical to mine. He is working on customizing it,  and also tending to work duties, while I escaped to Nikko for a long weekend.

I'd never been to Nikko,  but had kept hearing how beautiful it was. I also kept hearing how overwhelmingly touristy it was, and especially popular with non-Japanese folks. So, Brian and I both stayed away.

However, I decided that I really did have to see this mecca of shrines and temples and Autumnal beauty.  I booked Monday off work and, as Tuesday is yet another National Holiday, that gave me four days off.

And so, even as I type this missive, here I am in Nikko.

I decided to come by motorbike, and am so glad I did. This was my longest solo trip, and it went very smoothly; though the Tokyo portion was a time-consuming, stress-inducing endeavor,  it was so well worth it.

And today, I had the joy of hopping on my bike and heading off to Chuzenji-ko and Yumoto towns before returning to Nikko to enjoy a walk around Toshogu shrine.

[caption id="attachment_1312" align="alignnone" width="453" caption="Chuzenjjiko Lake"]



[/caption]

The beauty of biking is you will see other bikers, and we do tend to gravitate toward each other. I chatted with several people during my journey; one was a man who was really checking out my bike, then mentioned the "Meguro". He was not a rider, but he did recognize the bike: the Meguro is the ancestor of the Estrella.

About 20 km outside of Nikko, on my way to Chuzenjiko, a fellow biker offered to take my picture with me and my bike (so my bike didn't always look so lonely).

[caption id="attachment_1313" align="alignnone" width="604" caption="Lone bikers are never really alone!"]
[/caption]

I love love love this area! So gorgeous, but I won't have time to fully explore it. I could technically stay another day, but as I always like a 'recovery' day, my plan is to head back to Susono tomorrow. And the forecast is for rain.

But at least I've devised a route home that avoids the tortuous tortures of Tokyo...

3 comments:

Lyn said...

What a wonderful trip. And I'm glad the other biker took your picture!

Karin said...

The bike does look happier - you both look great!

Tornadoes28 said...

I'm glad you finally made it to Nikko. It is my favorite place in Japan both for its natural beauty and its history. And, as can be seen with the trees, you went at the right time of the year. Of course it is best to try and go when it is not so crowded. It must be amazing to have been able to ride through there on your motorcycle. What I have dreamed of doing someday is riding around Nikko on my road bike or finding some trails for mountain biking. That would be awesome.