Friday, October 22, 2010

Dexter the Dog Update

Dexter's been with us for just over a week now, and he is really a smart, good dog.

He is, unfortunately, also a sick dog. His kennel cough has not improved, and had even worsened. Wanting to have him assessed by a vet anyway. Now - long ago, when I had a couple of small terriers, and before them an amazing pussy cat, I had a favourite vet - Dr. Jasmin. I loved that old guy - he was a straight shooter and cared as much for the people as the animals. Unfortunately, he passed away some time ago, so my search for a new vet was begun.

I took Dexter to a nearby animal hospital, where he was assessed and where he had to stay in overnight, and later X-rays showed some signs of pneumonia. For the record, my vet search will continue, as I really did not like this one. I felt it to be impersonal, and kept being told how busy they were. It made me feel like I was imposing, although I was a client.

I took Dexter home to continue his course of Doxycycline, but by Wednesday he was still really lethargic and had a poor appetite. I decided to take him to the SPCA clinic, since I was not satisfied with the vet and I did, after all, have a 30-day free health care guarantee.

Now - I think the SPCA provides a valuable service, and I know the people there have to work hard. However, I am very disappointed with the personnel there; they have been frequently rude, often unhelpful, resenting my very presence. I can and will go into detail at some point - but at least I am happy that I took him back to the clinic there.

The SPCA vet saw him, and said it's not very serious. But he suggested leaving Dex there for a few days, to be put on IV anti-biotics, which would get into his system and make him healthier faster. I hated to leave him yet again, but I knew it was for the best. I hope to go collect him in a few days!

Once he comes home, my vet search will start again!

1 comment:

Karin said...

I hope he snaps back quickly.. and that you find a suitable vet. The last time I waited too long when I needed one I took the recommendation I could get. The guy is stellar with horses and cattle (welcome to TX) but the cat was mighty put out to have to be in a building that smelled like a barn.