Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spoiled by Good service

On the Japan Rider site, I posted about Dexter's pneumonia and hospitalization. I had to work hard not to let it become a rant against the new vet that I tried, or the SPCA.

I love the SPCA, but I find the personnel very unpleasant people. I also found the receptionist at the new vet I tried to be rather rude. And the vet staff kept saying how busy it was there....really people? Am I not paying a small fortune for a bunch of unnecessary tests??

As for the slap-in-the-face treatment at the SPCA - hello, but if you want people to want to adopt from the SPCA, you had better start treating us with a modicum of politeness!

And lest you think I'm just ranting about the animal care - actually, I've been finding so much unpleasantness and poor service  here. I went out for dinner with some family last night. Water was not brought to the table - we had to ask. When the waiter brought it, he haphazardly splashed the water into the glasses and slammed the pitcher down on the table. Um? Sorry for bothering you, WAITER! A few other things happened as well, and resulted in me not leaving much of a tip. I'm sorry - I know the waiter was tired and busy and doesn't make much. But I am not going to pay for that.

Now, in addition to the poor waitering, one of us ordered the chicken brochette, and actually, the chicken had gone off. It turns out at least three people had returned it in the past half hour, so not just our fussiness. Then, we ordered a dessert - but they were out of that one. Okay, we can be flexible - how about this one? Um, out of that too...Overall a disappointing dinner.

I have to think that it is a combination of a few things: 1) I haven't been going to the best places, and the service industry here is substandard in general; 2) French Montrealers are ignorant and rude; 3) I've been spoiled by exemplary service in Japan.

No comments: