Friday, October 29, 2010

Dexter, the Smoking Dog...

Dex is doing great. He is home from his hospitalization at the SPCA clinic, and is more energetic and cheerful every day.

Though I've had dogs before, he is my first shelter dog; and six months is the oldest I ever started with a dog. My little Brutus, for example - an immortal dog if ever there was one! - I took home when he was only a week old (long story - he was the runt, his mama tried to move him to let him die, so...there I was).

Dexter is not Brutus. He is not like our other dogs at all (Poochie, Chico, etc). He is an individual. And I really don't know what to do with an older puppy. And Dex really doesn't know what to do with us. I was reading about rescue dogs, and that it takes about four months for them to settle in. I think Dexter is doing better than that though...He already acts like a member of the family!



No comments: