Friday, December 01, 2006

Homecoming

December is here already!

In preparation for a winter vacation, I am currently making travel plans to head back to Montreal later this month. This will be a solo trip – Brian has to work, and he also loathes Montreal in the winter. I think he’s happy about being left behind on this trip, and I’m looking forward to some quality time with my mother and some of my good friends (I’ll certainly be catching up with Denis, of www.bernicky.com fame, and even spending a few days in New York City with Cheryl (of um...no fame)).

Maturation is a funny thing. When I fled Montreal and Canada, I wanted little connection to it. And now - I don't know where home is. When I was talking to some friends here about my plans, I said I’d be home shortly after Christmas. The response was, “Oh, you’re not going to spend Christmas in Canada?”. Well, I am going to spend Christmas in Canada, and what I meant by home was, of course, here with Brian. So I suppose that I have now learned that home is not a place anymore -home is people.

This is a good thing - wherever we go, we'll be home!

3 comments:

Team Sharma said...

So when are you going to Canada?

Tracy said...

I'm flying out on the 16th and returning on the 28th - so I'll have New Year's here in Japan!

bernicky said...

The expression "Home is where the heart is." is a good one because it has a lot of validity. For several years I have believed that your home is in Japan which is clearly a place you love and care for. It is nice that you are returning to Montreal to visit friends and family but I remember your last visit how Japanese you had become and I expect that it will be even more apparent now. BTW what do you want to eat while you are here? If nothing else we are still the best place in the world for bagels and smoked meat :D