Sunday, December 17, 2006

Poutine

I landed safely in Montreal last night, before 5 p.m. local time.

As I was driving my rental car along highway 20 toward Montreal Centre-Ville, and reminding myself, for the sake of all that is holy, to stay on the right-hand side of the road, I was also daydreaming of my first poutine in 3 years.

Poutine is, roughly, french fries with cheese and gravy; it's very famous in Quebec, and no other place can quite manage the same delicious quality of a true poutine, which must be made with only the best old potatoes and fresh cheese. To read the whole poutine story, read this wikipedia article.

Luckily, good poutine is easy to come by in Montreal, and shortly after arriving at my mother's place we ordered out for poutine - and it was great!

My "heart-attack-waiting-to-happen" dinner:

2 comments:

bernicky said...

Poutine - hand cut french fries fried in beef tallow (or vegetable oil spiked with beef tallow) - curd cheese (not mozzarella) and thick brown gravy. Mmmmm. A cardiac surgeons vacation home assuming you make it to emergency in time to be resuscitated :).

Anonymous said...

Yummm...!
_Marilyn