Thursday, August 05, 2010

Osaka Kuidare (食い倒れ)

Read any tour guide for Osaka, in English or Japanese, and you will find the word 'kuidaore', with literally means, eat until you drop.

Osaka, especially the Dotonbori district, which is where I'm living, is considered a place of extravagant eating. When Brian is here, we truly do eat until we drop, but even alone, I find myself exploring various 'kushi katsu' (deep fried skewered meat and vegetables) restaurants, Mexican resto-bars, tasteful cafes...and because I'm in the heart of a city that has narrow streets congested with people walking, people cycling, and cars driving through it all maniacally, no matter how early I manage to get out, my runs have all but disappeard (I only do about 30 minutes twice a week on a treadmill). Add that to my new 'kuidaore' lifestyle, and it is no surprised that my diet plans have not been going well!

However - I am not going to totally stop exploring wonderful restaurants and food specialties of Osaka...I will really just have to hit the gym more than twice a week!

No comments: