Friday, August 20, 2010

Walking in Sakai

Since I moved away from the hubbub of the Dotonbori area, my life has become healthier and generally more pleasant. Oh, Dotonbori was great, but I love this room way better, and the location allows for more healthful pleasureableactivities, such as taking long, scenic walks (that don't involve eating or drinking!). Last weekend, I did just such a walk.

The city has quite a lot of nice places to see, and there are English walking tour maps available from the tourist bureau near Daisen park, at the edge of the famous tomb of Emeror Nintoku. You can also rent bicycles there for 300 yen per day.

Anyway, armed with a tourist map, I headed out last Saturday (the day before going hiking at Koyasan) and walked all around my new, temporary city. I of course went past the tomb (which, sadly, is not all that interesting from the outside because tourists, and even archeologists, are kept at quite a distance and not allowed to enter). I then continued to walk past several temples and shrines, until I got to the blade museum...which was, of course, closed for the summer holidays!

Me at Nintoku's Tomb; a kindly park attendant took my photo.
Lantern from one of the many lovely shrines"


Shrine pics..

Local wildlife!


And more local wildlife!




I plan to go back to the knife museum to check out the blades, and likely buy myself a new, sharp debacho...

No comments: