Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Brisk Morning Run


I've been intending to improve my running distances while retraining to run 'barefoot'. After a few months of carefully abbreviated shorter sessions, the shorter days and colder weather have been against my staying out longer.

To truly run barefoot, I prefer the smooth and dry stripe of asphalt hugging the mountainside above town (yamanami-rindo)... no distracting traffic or painful gravel.

Beginning from home, I inevitably encounter broken or crumbling concrete no matter how carefully I plan the route, so I have been wearing my huaraches as a compromise when I can't get to the ideal 'rindo'.

My last outing started from home (early, to beat the forecasted wind and clouds). Despite the 2deg C air temperature, my feet weren't the least bit uncomfortable without shoes or socks, and I was able to reach my new minimum goal of 5k, no problem!










2 comments:

Karin said...

That does look ideal - tho' I still can't actually see myself intentionally running.

Tracy said...

Oooh - I know just where that picture was taken! And surely I would run more if I were once again in the 2degree weather as opposed to minus 25 C!!