Saturday, January 15, 2011

Diet and My Plate.com

Okay, I know I've been talking about dieting for a few months, but now I really mean it:)

Seriously, I gained 10 pounds in the space of one month last July - basically, the minute I left Susono (and beautiful mountain runs!), I balooned up. It was instantaneous. What is surprising, though, is that I haven't gained weight since being in Montreal. Despite drinking ten beers a day, eating bagels and cream cheese at midnight, and sitting my ass on a sofa most of the day due to the winter blahs. So what's the problem if I have not gained more weight? The problem is, I have a muffin-top. I have never muffin-topped!!

So, time to get serious. Oh, no way will I become a food nazi, no no no. I will still enjoy a cold beer or a fine bottle of red wine; I will still have a nice steak dinner (oh yeah - I've been eating so much meat since I've been here...weird!); and I will still have a fried egg sandwich occasionally. But I will simply refrain from eating any form of potato chips; no more pepperoni pizza; and I'll cut back from ten brewskies to one or two!

One of the tools I really like using (when I'm in the mood to watch what I eat!) is the My Plate section of Livestrong.com here http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/. I find it really makes me think twice about putting something in my mouth when I am aware of how many calories it contains.

A few simple lifestyle changes will be good and will probably have results fairly quickly....

1 comment:

Karin Sharma said...

My Plate and I have spent the last 8 months together very happily. I've lost a net of 15 pounds. I've probably lost twice that by paying attention but in between bouts of attentiveness I have instances of oblivion during which I gain weight quickly. Pretty pleased with the over all result and I've been doing better since I added the iPhone app so I can evaluate my lunch choice before I commit (also good for meal selection at Olive Garden which is apparently one of my biggest hinderances).