Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shipping within Japan

I could and should file this under "annoyances". Well, it is an annoyance in Canada, especially after I have become accustomed to such excellent service in Japan. Seriously - not only is Japan Post super excellent (I have dropped a letter into the letter box in the morning and had it arrive the same day in Tokyo!), but the Takkyubin companies (express delivery companies) are very affordable and very, very fast, and they pick up and deliver anywhere. When I was travelling by train from Susono to Osaka, I simply had the takkyubin company pick up my suitcases and deliver them to my new address. This service cost me 2,500 yen. Peanuts!

Also, they deliver at very specific times, as determined by you, the customer. So, for example, if I tell them to deliver between 4p.m. and 6 p.m. on Wednesday night, that is when they deliver. If, for some reason, I miss the delivery, they leave a fuzaitodoke (不在届け)notice, with the driver's phone number. I simply call that number, tell the driver who I am, and he swings back by to drop off my package.

Not at all the case here in Canada. Yesterday I missed a UPS delivery. They left a fuzai, with a little box ticked that said "1st attempt". I am allowed up to three "attempts". Huh. So then I looked for a phone number to call, and I finally finally found it deeply buried in really fine print on the back of the card.

I visited the website and had options to pick up my package myself, or change the delivery address!

No comments: