Monday, March 21, 2005

Friends and Foes

I said that today was to be a day of rest; and it was, sort of. Awake at 5 a.m., I knew it would be one of those rare days with nothing but sunshine. And, it is a national holiday, so...we had to ride. We did take it easy, though. We rode for about 30 minutes, and only did 7km.

We had one errand to run today which took us way across the prefecture, but just a stone's throw from one of our favorite bikeshops. We bought a few small parts, then talked shop with the owner. He is a Foes fan, and was proud to show off some of their newer frames. We engaged in a little bike talk (riders everywhere speak a common language, wherever they are from), and I mentioned my old Foes that I haven't been riding since the derailleur hanger broke. Our bike shop guy excitedly showed us the derailleur hangers that he had in stock.

My Foes never fit me quite right, so last year, when the part broke, and I heard of another frame for sale (the Bulitt), I decided to just retire the Foes. But a bike as perfect as that deserves better than to sit, unloved, on my back balcony. I will do the minor repair, and give it to someone who will treat it better than I did.

No comments: