Sunday, March 20, 2005

Recharge Your Batteries

This little bit of advice I offer, both literally and figuratively.

Brian and I went for a hell of a long ride today. We reached the top of the mountain, looked at what we had done, and saw that it was Good.

But the fun was yet to come - all hard work deserves a reward, and our off-road downhill track that cuts through the mountain, back down to where we live, was the sweetest reward of all. It is steep, rocky, rooty, and quite technical in places.

We picked up great speed on one of the less technical sections, rode across a small, rocky stream, spun a corner, and surprised a group of dirt bikers (off-road motorcyclists). They must have been stopped for a rest, and were just getting ready to hit the trail again themselves. Kindred spirits, I think. They smiled and greeted us as we rode past them; I think they knew how we felt, and saw that it was Good.

But there are no pictures today. We discovered while stopped at a particularly picture worthy place that not only had our camera battery died, but so had the spare battery we always pack (obviously, not recharged).

And now I am exhausted to the core of my being, and I understand that, though today was Good, a day of rest is necessary to recovery; and so, tomorrow there will be no ride.

The advice I have to give is:

Always Recharge Your Batteries.

1 comment:

bernicky said...

What an elegant and inspiring post. Glad you had a great ride though a few pics from the summit would have been nice.