Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Pedalling for Pleasure

I suppose apologies are in order for not having any good pictures to offer tonight. But...

  • Our friend, riding buddy and neighbor, Chris, built up his single-speed, and it is gorgeous!
  • Brian ordered bike parts from Alred E. Bike, and is waiting for them to be delivered
and
  • I think spring may have actually arrived here in eastern Honshu.

This last item is especially important. You see, it is so difficult to get out from under the covers in the morning when the air surrounding you is so cold; it is even more difficult, once out from under the covers, to get out of one's warm pajamas; and after that, it is more difficult still to get out into the bracing cold air for a bike ride!

(A brief aside here - I feel guilty complaining about the cold weather in Susono; where I and Brian are from (Montreal and Detroit), winter is severely cold; and yet, my friend Denis still trains, no complaints.)

This morning was so warmly wonderful, I can't explain it. I woke up at 5 a.m., lie awake until 6 a.m., when I then shook Brian and said, "We have to go for a ride!". And ride we did. The sun came up - a large, orange globe - and as we rode, we could see the tea fields glowing, like fields of gold. This morning, we rode for pleasure, and I realized, This is the way it should be.

No comments: